At Reed First School children from Year One onwards are taught to develop an interest in learning other languages in a way that is enjoyable and stimulating. We encourage children’s confidence, we strive to stimulate and encourage children’s curiosity about language. We aim to develop their awareness of cultural differences in other countries through curriculum enrichment opportunities. We strive to embed the skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing necessary to enable children to use and apply their French learning in a variety of contexts and lay the foundations for future language rich learning.
Children in our Junior class enjoy weekly French lessons. They offer the opportunity to:
- Listen to the language and join in to learn everyday words and phrases
- Learn how to have conversations in French to share ideas and opinions as well as being able to ask and answer questions
- Read simple texts and familiar stories in French
- Learn songs in French to help with vocabulary but also with cultural understanding
- Write some words and phrases from memory
Your children will enjoy these links to supplement their learning in school